Running is by far my favorite way to exercise – it’s a great stress reliever and it makes me so happy! I’m currently in my 6th year of running, and I’m not stopping any time soon. Through lots of trial and error, I’ve learned which running gear works best for me on race day, and today, I want to share some of my favorite essentials with you.
1. Uncrustables*. Yes. You heard me. Before races, I like to eat an Uncrustable. It’s a great source of protein and carbs, and it’s just the right amount of food before racing. I usually pair this with a banana if I’m running a marathon.
2. Nuun*. I’ve fallen completely in love with Nuun over the last year. I specifically use it as my recovery drink, but it’s also great for pre-race fueling and to sip on during races. I personally love the strawberry lemonade flavor, but I also like the berry flavor as well. I’m dying to try the cherry limeade flavor because I’ve heard such wonderful things!
3. Garmin* Forerunner 220. This past Christmas, my husband bought the Forerunner 220 for me, and I’m completely in love. I previously had the Forerunner 10, which served me well for 5 years, but the 220 provides so many neat stats, including number of steps, heart rate, elevation, pace, PRs, a high-speed GPS navigation feature, and more. I no longer have to delay my runs because of my watch, which used to be my biggest pet peeve. Come on…we’ve all been there.. with our hands raised in the air for 15 minutes..haha!
Posing with the Garmin Forerunner 220 before the 2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon!
4. Nathan* Insulated SpeedView Flask. I purchased my Nathan handheld water bottle while I was training for the Walt Disney World Marathon at the end of 2015. I had done a lot of research and tested several handheld water bottles and running belts, but none of them seemed to work for me. This water bottle, however, is perfect! It holds just about 20 oz. of water, has a comfortable and natural grip, has a see-through zipper pocket that can hold phones of all sizes, and has an interior slip pocket for IDs or running gels. I usually hold my phone during races, so the pocket is the perfect place to store all of my gels and chapstick.
Big smiles for my favorite water bottle (in the photo)!
5. Gu* Chocolate Outrage Gels. I am absolutely in love with Gu’s chocolate gels. They taste and smell just like melted chocolate! I’ve tried other gels and even other flavors from Gu, but nothing compares to the chocolatey goodness of these gels. For a foodie, it is heaven.
So that’s it – my favorite running gear essentials. While I do love trying new products, I usually stay loyal to these five items because they work so well for me. And, with Dopey training starting next month, I’ll be sure to use all five of these items 🙂
What are some of your favorite running essentials? Comment below!
*This post was not sponsored by any of the companies or products mentioned, and all opinions and views are my own.