If you know me at all, you know that I am a little too obsessed with my dog. I mean look at this face…..
Having a dog requires a lot of work and care – especially if you have an energetic puppy like we do. Just as nutrition and exercise are important to us, both are equally important to our dog. With that being said, Steve and I like to take Thad on several day trips to get him out of the house to exercise and have some fun. And, with summer quickly approaching, some of our favorite local spots are opening for the season!
Central PA is rather small, but it’s also great for dog owners. Here are our top 5 favorite things to do with Thad in the area:
- Hiking at Gifford Pinchot State Park. Hiking is a great exercise for you AND your dog. The trails at Pinchot are great – very shaded, not very hilly, and just the right length for hiking with your dog.
Look at how small he was!
2. Visiting Canine Meadows at John Rudy Park. Canine Meadows is an off-leash dog park, consisting of three separate dog parks ranging from 2.5 to 6 acres. Each park has a weight limit (Under 15 pounds, 15-30 pounds, and over 30 pounds). Because Thad is a larger dog, we always take him to the “over 30” park, which is usually the most crowded. Thad loves to run around and play with the other dogs, as well as play fetch and walk the perimeter of the park. All dogs that we’ve encountered have been wonderful – very friendly and willing to play. The dog park does require all dogs to be up-to-date on their shots, so keep that in mind if you visit.
John Rudy Park also has miles of trails, which we like to take Thad on as well.
3. Getting a “Puppy Cone” at Reeser’s Soft Ice Cream. We love to take Thad to Reeser’s in the summer! The “puppy cone” is just vanilla ice cream, and dog owners are given the option of a cone or dish. While there, Steve and I will usually get our own ice cream as well…their ice cream is seriously so good!
…or we share with Thad…I told you we were obsessed….
4. Walk/Run Along Front St. in Harrisburg. This is something that we love to do with Thad. The path along Front St. in Harrisburg is beautiful, with lots of shade and no hills. Lots of dog owners walk along the pathway, making it a great place for Thad to make friends and get out some energy.
5. Going to Wet Nose Wednesdays at the Harrisburg Senators’ Games. And finally, this last point is something that we have not done with Thad, but we’d really like to! Each year, the Senators allow dog owners to bring their dogs to the Wednesday games. Because Thad was just a puppy last year (and this year), we wanted to wait to take him to these games. We’ve heard great things from friends and colleagues about Wet Nose Wednesdays (the dogs get treated very well and even make a few doggie friends!), so we can’t wait until Thad’s old enough to go! Just be aware that all dogs must remain on a leash and are not allowed in the club or suite level seats.
So, that’s it! These are our top 5 things to do with Thad in the summer. With summer quickly approaching, we can’t wait to go on new adventures with our pup!