I’ve had many people ask me what I eat in a typical day since I’m constantly training for races. And, really, it’s not that complicated! I stick to a few basic foods that I know are both yummy and healthy, and they agree with me!
I base my meals loosely off the 21-Day Fix program*, and I allow myself 3 cups of veggies, 2 cups of fruit, 3.75 cups of protein, 1.34 cups of grains, and then a small amount of nuts, peanut butter, and cheese per day.
Follow along below to see what type of meals I eat with this portioning system.
Breakfast: For breakfast, I try to eat something that will keep me full, while providing a good dose of protein. Some of my favorite breakfasts include:
- Smoothies with Greek yogurt and chia seeds (check out my Disney-Inspired PB&J Smoothie!)
- Whole grain oatmeal with light brown sugar and chia seeds
- Greek yogurt with whole grain granola
- 2 whole grain Kashi* blueberry waffles
Lunch: I try to have a pretty big amount of protein and veggies for lunch, which fills me up but doesn’t make me sleepy or sick all afternoon. For lunch, I usually have the following items together:
- Salad (lettuce, cucumbers, hard boiled egg, carrots, and balsamic dressing)
- Greek yogurt
- Sugar-free applesauce (if I need a sweet treat!)
Dinner: For dinner, I try to have some vegetables and a bigger dose of protein. Again, I don’t like to be overly full after dinner since we typically walk the dog directly after. Some of our favorite dinners each week include:
- Taco salads (lettuce, salsa, turkey meat with taco seasoning, and fiesta blend cheese)
- Breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs with cheese and turkey bacon)
- Baked tilapia with veggies
- Baked chicken with veggies
- Spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and chicken sausage
- Quinoa fried rice (quinoa, low-sodium soy sauce, egg, and mixed veggies)
Snacks: And finally, I try to have two snacks throughout the day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. This is usually when I’m craving sweets, so I try to make all of my snacks as sweet as possible! Some of my favorites include:
- Fruit (apples, grapes, bananas, clementines, watermelon, and berries)
- Lara Bars*
- Sugar-free applesauce
So, that’s it! Although I do like to try out new recipes, I usually have very basic meals throughout the week. They keep me full, healthy, and fueled for my day!
What are some of your favorite meals?
*This post was not sponsored by the brands and companies mentioned, and all opinions and views are my own.