This week, my husband and I came across the most delicious soup recipe! Each month, the realtor who sold us our house sends us recipe cards with his business information printed on the back. Last month’s recipe was Hearty Barley Soup, and we finally got around to trying out the recipe this week. It was seriously so good – super filling and healthy!
Sorry for the super sloppy picture, but I promise the soup is delicious!
If you’re interested in making this delicious soup, you’ll need:
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can of diced, Italian tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup of barley
- 1 cup of kale
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Once you have all of the ingredients above, follow the easy directions below!
- Cut the onion and peppers in half. Place one half of each in a food processor and blend. Dice the other halves and place in a large skillet with the turkey and oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat.
- Transfer turkey mixture into a medium stock pot with all other ingredients, with the exception of the kale. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce to a simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale and let cook for one minute.
- Top with some low-fat mozzarella cheese, serve, and enjoy!
This recipe was a total hit in our family, and we will definitely be making it again!
What’s your favorite soup recipe to make?